Main Campus/Emergency Department:Patient and Visitor Amenities
The foundation of the Elmhurst Memorial Hospital Main Campus is an approach to healthcare that looks at the experience from our patients' perspective and offers a healthcare experience that is less intimidating and more comforting.
Aligning ourselves with Planetree, a nonprofit organization that works with hospitals and healthcare facilities to develop and implement healing environments that go beyond traditional care, gives us a partner in our quest to design a facility that transcends the typical hospital experience.
Features of the Main Campus include:
- Soothing colors, green spaces, natural woods and expanses of windows to make the interiors warm and welcoming.
- Wayfinding is oriented around windows and easy-to-navigate landmarks.
- All of our inpatients stay in private suites complete with a restroom, shower, ample space for family and friends, Internet access and room-by-room temperature controls.
- To encourage a sense of connection and collaboration, we offer flexible patient-centered visiting hours.
- Comfortable family gathering spaces are available in both public and more private settings, offering a relaxing environment to be with loved ones.
- Nature is used for aesthetic beauty and peace, creating a "Building in a Garden" as well as a sanctuary for the body, mind and soul. Fourteen individual gardens on the site are varied in size and purpose, offering peaceful, scenic views and places to gather in a blend of native prairie plants and formal flower arrangements.
- Our new Emergency Department respects our patients' needs at their most vulnerable time. By replacing traditional curtained bays with individual rooms with doors and restrooms, as well as providing dedicated family waiting areas, we can ensure that our patients have the privacy to converse openly and comfortably with caregivers.
- A two-story Interfaith Chapel is directly adjacent to both the Emergency Department and the Critical Care Unit, giving families a place to seek spiritual comfort without going far from a loved one's bedside.
- Forget everything you've heard about hospital food — our patients can make tasty and nutritious selections from a varied menu or request made-to-order meals from our WILDFLOWER Café, which is also open to the public and offers a wide array of fresh dining choices, from stir-fry to made-to-order sandwiches to an extensive salad bar and more.
- Falling Water, a boutique for the mind, body and spirit, is a spa-like shop offering unique gift items that include apparel, aromatherapy products and more.
- The Wild Rose Floral & Gift Shop provides one-stop shopping for flowers, gift items, magazines, candy and more. Our on-site floral designer will even create custom arrangements to taste and budget.
- Looking for the perfect spot to sit back, get a cup of coffee and relax? Try Starbucks, which also offers merchandise, food and gift cards.
- Walgreens provides a convenient option for picking up prescriptions before leaving the building.