Scope of Services
10 Amazing Things About the Elmhurst Memorial Center for Cancer Care
Every day, we are committed to making cancer a thing of the past at the cancer center of the future. From offering a compassionate and personalized touch to employing the latest technology, we keep patients at the center of everything we do. Here are 10 amazing things about the Center for Cancer Care.
- Accreditations. Elmhurst Memorial Healthcare was one of only five hospitals in Illinois and 79 nationwide to receive the Commission on Cancer Outstanding Achievement Award, which recognizes cancer programs that strive for excellence in providing quality care. Additionally, Elmhurst Radiation Oncology is the only facility in DuPage County to have earned a three-year accreditation from the American College of Radiology. The National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers also accredited EMHC, and our breast cancer quality-focused measures have been endorsed by the National Quality Forum.
- Today’s technology. Radiation services include a Varian TrueBeamTM linear accelerator, which delivers powerful cancer treatments with pinpoint accuracy; a PET/CT, a nuclear imaging procedure that combines nuclear and CT imaging into one procedure; and the CyberKnife® Center of Chicago. Cyberknife delivers precise beams of high dose radiation to areas in which traditional radiation would be too damaging to the surrounding tissue. This technology is used in a wide range of locations in the body while protecting normal tissue.
- Comfort and convenience. The new outpatient infusion center provides patients with a welcoming and comfortable atmosphere in private treatment bays or shared treatment areas, with evening and Saturday appointments available.
- Collaborative care. A more centralized model of care — with medical oncologists and radiation oncologists, a laboratory and treatment areas under one roof — facilitates better communication and convenience.
- Trained professionals. Nurse navigators help guide patients through treatments, and physicians are supported by talented oncology certified nurses, radiation therapists, nurse navigators, social workers, dietitians, chaplains and other healthcare providers.
- Ongoing support. Complementary therapies and support services, such as acupuncture and Reike therapy, the American Cancer Society Wig Boutique and the Wellness House, help treat the whole person, not just the illness.
- Beautiful and comfortable surroundings. The gorgeous design promotes peace and healing. More than 50 large windows on the west, south and east sides of building help bring the outside in.
- Clinical trials. We participate in a cooperative group, sponsored by the National Cancer Institute, through an affiliation with the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University. A research nurse navigator assists all participants through every step — from informed consent, to treatment, to follow-up appointments.
- Comprehensive care. The American College of Surgeons approved us as a Comprehensive Community Cancer Program. As such, we always strive to provide the least invasive surgical solutions, the most innovative therapies, including new FDA-approved drug therapies, and the latest research, thanks to our affiliation with Northwestern University.
- A focus on the patient. We take our promises seriously, and we promise to keep the patient at the center of everything we do, and support family and loved ones along the way.