Family Birthing Center
Midwives at EMHC
At Elmhurst Clinic, our team of midwives is dedicated to providing personalized care and expertise to you and your family – all within a welcoming environment that fosters safety, compassion and respect. Each of our midwives is an advanced practice nurse who is nationally certified and licensed by the State of Illinois. Count on us to support your choices, cultural preferences and unique needs as we work with mutual understanding and respect to deliver the care you deserve.
Elmhurst Clinic Midwife Services Include:
- Annual exams: Pap smear, HPV testing, infection testing/treatment
- Breast examination/mammography referral
- Preconception counseling and pregnancy planning
- Comprehensive prenatal care
- Testing, ultrasound and childbirth preparation, including alternative medicine options and referral
- Birth care: Continuous support during active labor
- Breastfeeding support
- Family planning
- Menopausal care
What Is a Midwife?
“Midwifery” means “with woman.” Midwives are specialists in low-risk pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum; however, midwives also help care for newborns and assist mothers with breastfeeding. Midwives attend births in hospital settings and continue to stay with patients during medical pain management or during labor complications, should they occur. While caring for women during pregnancy and attending births are important focuses, the midwives at Elmhurst Clinic attend to women during all stages of their lives.