September 24th, 2012
I am very pleased to share with you that Elmhurst Memorial Healthcare is the second acute care hospital in Illinois and only one of 19 worldwide to receive the prestigious Planetree designation award. For the past five years, our devoted physicians and employees have helped make Elmhurst Memorial Healthcare an organization that truly is focused on patient-centered care. Planetree is a non-profit organization that works with hospitals and healthcare facilities to develop and implement patient-centered care in a healing environment. Planetree’s philosophy is based on a simple premise: care should be organized first and foremost around the needs of patients.
At Elmhurst Memorial Hospital, we have integrated the Planetree philosophy in everything we do. Elements in the Hospital’s design that bring the Planetree principles to life include private patient rooms that encourage interaction between patients, their caregivers and family. We support the integration of your family into your care by offering sleeping accommodations, large family rooms, kitchens and Care Partner program. Other elements of our care that support EMHC’s Planetree philosophy of a holistic approach to healing the mind, body and soul include:
- Open access to your own medical records. We encourage our patients to review your medical record with your healthcare provider on a regular basis to reinforce understanding of your medical condition and treatment.
- Room service provides quality food and nutrition that is essential for good health, healing, and comfort.
- Healing arts, including art displays throughout the building and live music performances in the East Lobby provide a comfortable, more home-like environment.
- Balconies and gardens for you and your guests to connect with nature and fresh air.
- Friendly and compassionate staff that listens to your needs and treats you with respect and dignity.
- A Spiritual Care team with access to an interfaith chapel to support you and your family throughout your hospital stay.
- Wireless Internet access throughout the facility for you and your guest’s convenience to stay connected with family and friends and with your in room television, also provides entertainment and relaxation options.
- An individualized comprehensive education plan to help prepare you and your loved ones for discharge and your care at home.
- Specialized programs and services to support your care such as Animal Assisted Therapy, Guided Meditation, and Gentle Touch hand massages.
More than 60 specific criteria address components of a patient-centered healthcare experience, including patient-provider interactions, access to information, family involvement, the physical environment, food and nutrition, spirituality, arts and entertainment, and integrative therapies. In addition, the criteria focus on how the healthcare system is supporting its staff, opportunities for staff, patients and families to have a voice in the way care is delivered, and the ways that Elmhurst Memorial Healthcare is reaching beyond its walls to care for its community.
Elmhurst Memorial Healthcare designees will be presented with the official Planetree award during the Planetree Annual Conference Award Ceremony that takes place on Oct. 3 in Palm Desert, Calif.
W. Peter Daniels, President & CEO